Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wowwy wow Lao

The quiet calm streets of Vientiane, Laos's capital, comes as a shock after every other city I've been to in Asia so far. No swarming children asking for money, taxi drivers offering me drugs, or androgynous prostitutes telling me Im handsome (ladies, please, I know, I know!) Rather the city moves slowly and the white noise of traffic is scare.

The last few days have been a whirlwind filled with temples which echo a deeply spiritual ancient civilization, as well as dancing and jovial meals. The temples of Angkor Wat and the like were beautiful. Their unbelievable architecture deeply contrasts to the western architecture to which I am usually exposed. At night Hoang and I toured the restaurants, markets, and clubs.

The plane to Laos was small, about the size of a bus, and had two very loud propellers. Tomorrow I head up north, to the border of Myanmar where I will go camping for 3 days and live with the Khmu people. Expect more when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment